Wednesday, March 7, 2012
NCAA School Nicknames- Angry Birds
Yes, this might be one of the zaniest things we've done in a long time, well perhaps not, but since March Madness is descending upon us (for those of you in Latvia or Bolivia, March is the month when both men's and women's college basketball teams play for championships here in America), we thought we would put together some lists of several colleges with unique nicknames.
Please note, most of these teams are not actually going to playing in the NCAA tournament, which will be announced on Sunday. But, from this list, we can guarantee that the Creighton University Bluejays from Omaha, Neb., will be at least one of the teams representing the Misouri Valley Conference as they won their conference tournament.
Both the Lehigh Mountain Hawks and the LIU-Brooklyn Blackbirds play in their respective conference tournament title games tonight. Lehigh will face Bucknell in the Patriot League, while LIU-Brooklyn faces Robert Morris in the Northeast Conference title game.
The logos for the two teams here are for the UNC-Wilmington Seahawks and the Texas-San Antonio Roadrunners.
All of these teams have nicknames pertaining to birds.
Here is the list:
1) Air Force Falcons. Mountain West Conference. Colorado Springs, Colo.
2) Ball State Cardinals. Mid-American Conference. Muncie, Ind.
3) Boston College Eagles. ACC. Boston, Mass.
4) Coastal Carolina Chanticleers. Big South. Conway, SC.
5) Creighton Bluejays. Missouri Valley. Omaha, Neb.
6) Delaware Fighting Blue Hens. Colonial Athletic. Newark, Del.
7) Lehigh Mountain Hawks. Patriot League. Bethlehem, Pa.
8) LIU-Brooklyn. Northeast Conference. Brooklyn, NY.
9) Marquette Golden Eagles. Big East. Milwaukee, Wisc.
10) Oregon Ducks. Pac-12. Eugene, Ore.
11) Texas-San Antonio. Southland. San Antonio, Tex.
12) UNC-Wilmington Seahwaks. Colonial Athletic. Wilmington, NC
For more nicknames with fowls, check out our sister blog "Politics, Culture and Other Wastes of Time."