Thursday, November 13, 2014
Here are the last ten compact discs we've listened. Yes, we have based this on our regular Last Ten Films We've Seen series, an idea we got from "Film Comment" magazine, as they frequently ask movie directors, such as Quentin Tarantino or Sofia Coppola, what are the last ten films they have watched.
Here's is our list; Bruce Piephoff, a Greensboro, NC, singer featured on this list, is a good friend of our's, alas, we have never met David Bowie. The top image is of the late rock singer Alex Chilton, a song about him was on The Replacements' cd "Pleased to Meet Me" (1987) and the bottom image is of folk singer Sufjan Stevens:
1) Bruce Piephoff. Soft Soap Purrings. 2014. Folk
2) The Replacements. Pleased To Meet Me. 1987. Indy
3) David Bowie. Hunky Dory. 1971.Rock
4) Steely Dan. Countdown to Ecstasy.1973. Rock
5) Pink Floyd. Animals. 1977. Rock
6) Sufjan Stevens. Illinoise, 2005. Indy/folk (the recording features a ballad about a notorious serial killer!)
7) Superchunk. On the Mouth. 1992.Indy/punk
8) Talking Heads. Face the Music. 1979. New Wave/rock/punk
9) The Police. Regatta de Blanc. 1979. New Wave/rock/punk
10) Pat Metheny Group. Letter from Home. 1989. Jazz.
Tuesday, November 11, 2014
The DC List (3 of 3)..........Last Group of Republican Congressman.............and when they turn 103
For those of you who live outside America, the Republican Party is a far right wing coalition of Jump-4-Jesus evangelicals, Yosemite Sam gun nuts, fringe anti-government anarchists, rich greedy multimillionaires and war mongering radicals who like to see us invade the Canadian province of Nova Scotia.
Of course, in spite of this, we respect their members who serve in public office and the long hours they put in up in Washington, DC, and on the golf courses they play on for fundraisers.
Here are ten more Republican House members and the years in which they will turn 103, when their seats might become competitive again:
1. Cong. Rob Wittman (R-Va., pict. top) 2062
2. Cong. Richard Hudson (R-NC, pict. center) 2074
3. Cong. Mick Mulvaney (R-SC, pict. bottom) 2070
4. Cong. Rick Crawford (R-Ark.) 2069
5. Cong. Rodney Davis (R-Ill.) 2073
6. Cong. John Culberson (R-Tex.) 2059
7. Cong. Jeff Fortenberry (R-Neb.) 2063
8. Cong. Chris Smith (R-NJ) 2056
9. Cong. John Duncan (R-TN) 2050
10. Cong. Paul Ryan (R-Wisc., failed 2012 veep nominee) 2073
http://www.newsmax.com/ (Right wing journal we disagree with)
http://www.motherjones.com/ (Left wing journal we are more inclined to agree with)
http://www.politicscultureandotherwastesoft.blogspot.com (for more GOP reps and they will turn 103)
Monday, November 10, 2014
Today, we continue making fun of Republican members of Congress (the House of Representatives) as we give you the year they will turn 103, which is when their comfortable perfectly gerrymandered seats might be vulnerable to Democrats, God forbid!!! (sarcasm intended)
There are actually two women on this list, including Cong. Ann Wagner (R-Mo, pict. bottom) and Cong-elect Mia Love (R-Utah), a black woman representing a 99-percent white district, who along with Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas proves that Republicans are actually better at affirmative action than Democrats (David Duke and Rush Limbaugh must be fuming!).
Here is your list:
1) Cong. Randy Forbes (R-Va, pict. top) 2055
2) Cong. Patrick McHenry (R-NC, pict. center) 2078
3) Cong. Ann Wagner (R-Mo, pict. bottom) 2065
4) Cong. John Boehner (R-Ohio, house speaker) 2052
5) Cong. Jeff Miller (R-Fla) 2062
6) Cong. Markwayne Mullin (R-Okl.) 2080
7) Cong. elect Mia Love (R-Utah) 2078
8) Cong. Austin Scott (R-Georgia) 2072
9) Cong. Spencer Bachus (R-Ala) 2050
10) Cong. Matt Salmon (R-Az) 2061
http://www.mallardfilmore.com (Right-wing comic strip we don't agree with)
http://www.townhall.com (Nope, we don't agree with them either)
http://www.thenation.com (More inclined to agree with them)
Sunday, November 9, 2014
The DC List (1 of 3): Meet Your Republican Congressional Members...........and, guess when they will turn 103
At any rate as even yack herders in Mongolia now by now there were mid-term elections to determine which party gets control of the House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate, and alas (yes, we are biased), the Republicans won. But, after watching "The Partridge Family" reruns for five straight days and getting mopped and depressed, we thought of what Mel Brooks once said: "The best way to get even with your enemies is to make fun of them."
So, as gerrymandering will assure that Republicans will hold their seats for years and years on end even if they smoke pot on a ski trip to Colorado or run over an old woman's foot with their Hummer in a Target parking lot in Florida, we thought we'd let you the voter know when your Republican Congressional member is scheduled to turn 103! Oh, and of course, we forgot to add if you are playing Angry Birds as bills are being voted on in the floor; it is actually an addictive game, we'll give you that!
And, of course, we once again, choose to make fun of our own Republican Congressman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va) who was first elected to the House of Reps in 1992 during the infamous Newt Gingrich takeover of the house.
Here is when your rep turns 103 years old:
1) Cong. Virginia Foxx (R-NC, pictured top) 2046
2) Cong. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va, pictured center) 2055
3) Cong Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) 2070
4) Cong. Martha Roby (R-Ala) 2079 (she's a young one, especially for a Republican!)
5) Cong. Gus Bilirakis (R-Fla) 2066 (whew! We almost didn't spell his name right....)
6) Cong. Darrell Issa (R-Cal.) 2056
7) Cong. Tom Graves (R-Ga) 2073 (that's also the year I turn 103!)
8) Cong. Steve King (R-Iowa) 2052
9) Cong. Mike Coffman (R-Colo.) 2058
10) Cong. Mike Simpson (R-Idaho) 2053
http://www.politicscultureandotherwastesoft.blogspot.com (for more reps who turn 103)
Friday, November 7, 2014
This is our first entry since the catastrophic, seismic, Armageddon nightmare, mid-term elections, which saw the Republican gain more houses in the U.S. Congress and completely take over the U.S. Senate, but fortunately Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va) did prevail over Ed Gillespie.
Even though we differ with his politics and his policies, we want to congratulate Cong. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va) who has represented Virginia's sixth district since 1993, and now, thanks to perfect gerrymandering, he probably will be representing the Sixth district until the year 2045 (correction: he turns 103 in 2055), when he will be circa 103 years old. Thus, we are using the image of Goodlatte (center) for the film "Dear White People" which is on this list. We are also looking for photos of Goodlatte in a bathing suit, but alas there are none to be found on Google.
Of the ten films we last watched, eight are from foreign countries, including Kazakhstan, Romania, Israel, the Netherlands, Japan, Turkey, Iran and Norway.
Finally, so none of you are confused, the bottom image is of the Oklahoma Sooners bandwagon used when the team plays home football game; "August: Osage County," a film based on a play takes place in Oklahoma. It stars Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts.
Here is the list:
1. "Tuesday after Christmas." Romania. 2010. dir: Radu Muntean.
2. "Uszipin." Israel. 2004. dir: Giddi Dar
3. "Headhunters" Norway. dir: Mortem Tyldum
4. "Ichi the Killer" Japan. 2001. dir: Takashi Miike.
5. "Waiting Room" Turkey. 2004. dir: Zeki Demirkubuz.
6. "Dear White People" 2014. dir: Justin Simien.
7. "Schizo." Kazakhstan. 2004. dir: Gushat Omarova
8. "August: Osage County" 2014. dir: John Wells
9. "Leila" Iran. 1997. dir: Dariush Mehrjui
10. "Abel" (or "Voyeur"). Netherlands. 1986. dir: Alex van Warmerdam