Tuesday, April 26, 2016
On the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton appears poised to claim the party nomination as she was unable to do during the 2008 election cycle. She won four of the five primaries with challenger Bernie Sanders winning in Rhode Island.
The Philly Phanatic is being featured as one of our images in honor of the Pennsylvania primary; the Phillies won tonight over the Washington Nationals 3-1 (we think).
We tried to capture the night with tweets from the left, the right and the center. Alas, we were unable to get many tweets from women but the one we did get was from Jessica Valenti, who is a feminist American-based reporter for "The Guardian" (UK).
Here are the tweets; we will put Valenti first:
1) Jessica Valenti: 'It's very easy to be presidential' Hmmm....
2) Anderson Cooper: Donald Trump says Bernie Sanders should run as an independent.
3) Dave Rubin: Cruz did win exit poll for Candidate Most Likely to Scare Children.
4) Matty Ice: Trump just won more states than Ted Cruz's mistresses.
5) David Axelrod: On big night, team Trump can't get mike to work??? Still a few wrinkles to work out, I guess.
6) Ricky Vaughn: Looks like Rhode Island delegates will be Trump 11 Kasich 5 Cruz 3.
7) Matthew Ygelsias: John King's enthusiasm for the state of Rhode Island is making the evening for me. (King is with CNN).
8) Rich Lowry: Trump's 57 percent in Pennsylvania is just astonishing.
9) Major Garrett (CBS): 'I'm not doing that,' Trump when asked about vetting running mates. 'I don't want to think about it.'
Saturday, April 23, 2016
The photos here are of Turkish children from 1) Edirne 2) Konya, 3) Gaziantep (Syrian refugee children), 4) Izmir 5) Izmir (Syrian children) and 6) Izmit/Sakarya.
Here are our ten favorite films of his, all but three are from the 1970s:
1) The Passenger (1975, pict. top)
2) Five Easy Pieces (1970; pict. center w/ the late Karen Black)
3) Chinatown (1974, pict. bottom w/ Faye Dunaway)
4) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
5) Carnal Knowledge (1971)
6) The Last Detail (1973)
7) The Shinning (1980 w/ Shelley Duvall)
8) The King of Marvin Gardens (1972)
9) The Departed(2006)
10) Prizzi's Honor (1985)
Monday, April 18, 2016
But, Katrina and the Waves (pict. top) have not boycotted the Tar Heel State, but they are not currently on tour!
We also want to take a moment to congratulate Oklahoma University's women's gymnastics team, including stand-out gymnast Chayse Capps (pict. center) for winning the NCAA women's gymnastics championships by edging out LSU, Alabama and Florida in Fort Worth, Tex.
We also want to acknowledge that we are listening to the waning minutes of Ira Glass' long-running NPR show "This American Life," which is always a bit hard to follow when one is blogging, cooking or working on a car engine. Let's face it, listening to NPR works best in places like prisons and closed warehouse buildings where there are no distractions.
As for Katrina and the Waves, they are the band that came to mind with our first of three Tax Day Tweets of the Day (they are best known for the 1985 pop hit "Walking on Sunshine") although our favorite song is actually the downer "Love Will Tear Us Apart Again" from Joy Division.
Here are the three Tax Day Tweets:
1) Facts and Psychology: Listening to your favorite song before bed can help you sleep better, wake up easier and enhance your mood for the upcoming day.
2) Urban Slangs: Scruff: Facial hair basically day three to five after a shave.
3) Linda Holmes (NPR, we believe she doesn't work with Ira Glass): Today, I saw a movie with a premise sort of similar to the novel I once tried to write. Fortunately, the movie was way better than I thought.