Tuesday, September 26, 2017
Greetings to those of you in Wales, Sweden, and Croatia...
Our celebrity of the day is..........we'll go with Marc Maron....!
Here are some comic strips quotes mostly from the Roanoke Times (July 17th, 2017 edition) with exceptions including "The Knight Life" from our good pal Keith Knight, which will start us off.....
1) You kids these days have it so good! (Knight Life)
2) Hi Jeremy. Are you hungry? (Zits)
3) Sara, can we get pizza delivered? (Blondie)
4) Nelson, what are you doing? (Pickles)
5) I'd like to return this bird (Wizard of Id)
6) That's all anyone needs to know (Judge Parker)
7) Good man! (Jump Start)
8) Don't be afraid! The lightning won't strike as long as mommy's out here (Family Circus)
9) Ooooo, what's that? (Get Fuzzy)
Monday, March 20, 2017
Here are eight lines of dialogue we are stealing from the "Roanoke Times" Sunday comics section which ran on March 5, 2016. The reason we are using an image of starting Washington Capitals goalie Braden Holtby (pictured) is because a hockey goalie is referenced in "For Better or For Worse."
1) That stupid goalie! He just never looks! He misses everything! (For Better or For Worse)
2) "I think I need a hug anyway," (Zits)
3) What do you mean? (Hi and Lois)
4) I know red flowers make me sneeze. (Pickles)
5) At long last...............The Baby Aisle! (Jump Start)
6) I was just leaving for the day (Dilbert)
7) You're going to be late! (Baby Blues)
8) Chef Salad! Lasagna! Fried Chicken! (Blondie)
Now we can finally devote more time to those Mental Floss pop culture quizzes!
Saturday, September 24, 2016
Today, here in the USA, we are listening to a heart-churning story by Tony Cyprien of Berkely, Calif., who told an audience at "The Moth" about how he served time at the notorious San Quentin Prison that the late Johnny Cash made famous and later turned his life around.
In other news, Katie Holmes may or may not have married fellow Oscar-winner Jamie Foxx (we are kidding, Holmes has never won an Oscar). Alas, we are sorry to report that African-American character actor Bill Nunn who played Radio Raheem in Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing" has died at age 62 and he is trending on Twitter now.
Here are some samples of comic strip lines we put together; these are from comic strips that ran in the Sunday Sept. 11th, 2016, edition of "The Washington Post." The pictured images are of: 1) Baldo; 2) Garfield; and 3) Baby Blues.
Here we go........!!!:
1) "Dogs and Cats are NOT supposed to be friends," Mutts.
2) "Dad.....it's not time for new sheets," Baldo by Hector Cantu
3) "Curfew is ruining my life," Zits
4) "Your friend Steve works at a pizza place. Can you call him?" Foxtrot.
5) "Nice Souvenir T-Shirt," Frazz
6) "Tell Him Not to Lose My Phone!," Baby Blues
7) "I pulled you over to give you an ice cream cone," Knight Life, by the great Keith Knight
8) "Huh? I don't understand. The accident happened last night," Judge Parker.
9) "You mean I get a kiss just for sitting here?," Garfield
Thursday, September 22, 2016
At any rate to mark the occasion, we are featuring images of Megyn Kelly (pict. top), the gorgeous Fox News anchor born in November of 1970 who is the subjective right-wing news network's hopes of maintaining viewers who include 79-year-old men at nursing homes in Amherst, Ohio, in the hopes that viewers from liberal places like Seattle will actually watch for nine minutes or so....
The middle image is of Erin Andrews (center) the sportscaster who now hosts "Dancing with the Stars" which competes with Fox News for those same nursing home residents in not only Ohio, but the whole entire midwest and the state of Florida.
Finally, we hope to maintain an international audience with Turkish-German actress Sibel Kekilli, who first became known for her acting in the critically-acclaimed German film "Head-On" by Fatih Akin. Kekilli became a yuge star when she appeared in "Game of Thrones."
Other actresses we considered posting images of include Parker Posey, who has been in a film with Kekilli, and is now starring in Woody Allen's "Cafe Society," which also features Kristen Stewart. Posey is actually two years older than Kelly, and to our knowledge, those nursing home men residents in Amherst, Ohio, probably don't know much about the indie films that made Posey a distinct actress.
Katie Holmes was also on her radar but it seems she is getting enough attention both from Instagram and tabloids suggesting she is in a secret burning romance with Jamie Foxx, who is supposedly a pal of her ex-husband Tom Cruise. And, we thought about posting an image of Nina Totenberg, the legal affairs reporter for NPR for our intellectual readers. But, yea, they probably are in the minority.
Here's to the next 11 years......!!!
Friday, August 26, 2016
"If you're an actress or a musician, everyone thinks you're hot."
Thursday, August 25, 2016
One can probably find her books in places like The Regulator Bookshop in Durham, NC, which is hosting humorist/author Dave Barry on Sept. 7th, Malaprop's Bookstore (note to self: don't forget the apostrophe) in Asheville, NC, or The Boulder Bookstore in Boulder, Colo.
Parker was also the focus of a recent article in "Mental Floss" magazine.
Here is her quote, on love:
"Now I know the things I know and I do; and if you do not like me so, to hell, my love, with you!"
Tuesday, August 23, 2016
Before we get to tonight's quote, we want to thank WXYC-FM, the student-run UNC college radio station in Chapel Hill, NC, for playing one of our high school favorites "New Girl Now" by the Canadian band Honeymoon suite and the new wave German-language classic "Das Komasor" from the late Austrian pop star Falco.
Additionally, we want to share this great line from the Sunday edition Paul Jon's comic strip "Fort Knox": "Absolutely, in a few years, it will take over our backyard.
Lastly, we want to congratulate Turkish free-style wrestler Taha Akgul for winning his nation's lone gold medal at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
Here is our quote from Bardot: "If only every man who sees my films did not get the impression he can make love to me, I would be a lot happier."