Wednesday, March 7, 2012
College Schools Nicknames- Retro Metro
Yes, there was once a college basketball conference called the Metro Conference, but it ceased to exist in the mid-1990s. But, today we remember the conference with its member schools (not all were in the Metro at the same time).
Since we are limiting these lists to 12 schools, we had to omit the Georgia Tech Yellowjackets, the first Metro team to defect to the ACC in 1979.
Four of these schools, Louisville, Memphis (the school was called Memphis State in its Metro days), Cincinnati and Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) have reached the Final Four in men's basketball, while Louisville has won two NCAA titles in the sport. VCU has also qualified for this year's NCAA tournament by winning their conference tournament.
Here is the list of Metro Conference schools with their present conferences (note about the image, Virginia Tech has a club hockey team, not a NCAA team in the sport):
1. Cincinnati Bearcats. Big East. Cincinnati, Ohio.
2. Florida State Seminoles. ACC. Tallahassee, Fla.
3. Louisville Cardinals. Big East. Louisville, Ky.
4. Mephis Tigers. C-USA. Memphis, Tenn.
5. Saint Louis Billikens. Atlantic-10. St. Louis, Mo.
6. South Carolina Gamecocks. SEC. Columbia, SC.
7. South Florida Bulls. Big East. Tampa, Fla.
8. Southern Missippi Golden Eagles. C-USA. Hattiesburg, Miss.
9. Tulane Green Wave. C-USA. New Orleans, La.
10. UNC Charlotte '49ers. Atlantic-10. Charlotte, NC
11. VCU Rams. Colonial Athletic. Richmond, Va.
12. Virginia Tech Hokies. ACC. Blacksburg, Va.