Sunday, December 28, 2008

My Premature Top 10 Movies of the Year List






I don't live in New York or LA or even Bethesda, Md., and I definitely haven't seen enough films compared to most film critics, but since everyone else posts a top ten movies of the year list, my thinking is simply: "Well, gee, why can't I?"



























To show this is not merely an exercise in narcissism, I will post the respective top 10 lists of my friends Phil Nugent (who lives in New York) and Joe Scott (who doesn't!) on my other blog "Politics, Culture and Other Wastes of Time."

I will post my Official Top Ten List some time right before the Oscars on Feb. 22 on one of my two blogs. For right now, this is what I have. I regret to inform my sister Lale Lovell that "Kung-Fu Panda" didn't make the cut:

1. "Taxi to the Dark Side" (doc)

2. "Edge of Heaven" (Germany/Turkey)

3. "Doubt"

4. "In Bruges"

5. "Elegy"

6. "The Visitor"

7. "Milk"

8. "The Dark Knight"

9. "The Counterfeiters" (Austria)

10. "Recount"*

*-Yes, I know it's an HBO movie, but it was great! And, this is a political year.

Honorable Mention:

"Brideshead Revisited," "Gonzo (doc)," "Stanley Kubrick's Boxes(doc)," "The Last Mistress (France),"Tell No One (France)," and "Vicky Christina Barcelona."

No comments: