Friday, December 12, 2008

10 People I've Sent Christmas Cards Too




I must profess that I am not a Christmas person. I think the holiday is celebrated way too early, and it always seems to be perennially exploited by both commercial merchants and religious fanatics who want us to take sides between Santa Claus and Jesus.

There is also a lot of forced togetherness during this time of the year which can be very painful for people (ie. egg nog with the step uncle from hell who lives in a trailer park in Bluefield, West Virginia).

The best example of this did not happen to me but to a friend of mine from Reading, Pa., who once told me that a fist fight broke out between her two brothers on the front lawn of her home on Christmas Day.

And, my favorite Christmas song is not "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby, but the dark rock anthem "Father Christmas" by The Kinks. I think the honest pain in Ray Davies' voice is more indicative of a real life experience which we can all relate to.

Having said that, it may shock some of you to learn that I seem to somehow send out more Christmas cards than almost anyone I know, and that includes Sunday school teachers!

The reason for this is that I like to keep track of people and appreciate gratitude towards folks who have been generous to me in some way. And, I figure I should get something out of the season for myself which can not be undermined by the chaos that comes as soon as the Best Buy shopping spree gets underway at 3 a.m. on the day after Thanksgiving.

This year I sent out 55 Christmas cards which has either equaled or topped my previous output.

I never get anywhere close to the number of cards I send out back, but I learned that is ok a long time ago. Though assuredly some people must be stunned to see me- of all people- sending them a Christmas card!

There are always inevitably surprises as some people I don't expect to hear from do respond. As of right now, I've received three cards but I realize that number will likely increase substantially.

I can not list everyone I sent a card to here, but here are ten random people I sent or gave ones too in no particular order. Some of them are friends, some are co-workers, and others are family members:

1. Lale and Matt Lovell- Boulder, Col.

2. Maria Hatzios- Blacksburg, Va.

3. Bruce Piephoff- Greensboro, NC

4. Kurt Gokbudak- Laguna Nigel, Calif.

5. Steve Franco- Salem, Va.

6. Michael Dawkins- Rock Hill, SC

7. Royce Richardson- Madison, NC

8. Haywood Graves- Danville, Va.

9. Alena Lachanglachang- Pittsburg, Calif.

10. Sheriff Tim Carter- Woodstock, Va.


If you want to be added to that list, sorry.........I am now a bit burned out from Christmas cards at the moment though some time next week, I hope to send out some e-Christmas cards. I just have to figure out the cut-off point, which can be challenging.

And, of course, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to each of you even if you are in prison for starving for your pet poodle!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

testing...

Anonymous said...

Who is Kurt Gokbudak?

Unknown said...

Kurt Gokbudak is my oldest cousin on my father's side. He is 13 years older than me!