Saturday, December 27, 2008

Cinema of the Week-The Tower Theatre in SLC, Utah





This week's Cinema of the Week is the very trendy Tower Theatre in Salt Lake City, Utah, which shows a host of foreign films, documentaries and independent films.

I caught a midnight screening of "Swiss Robinson Family" (of all films!) there while I was visiting SLC in 2007. Recently, their midnight screening slate has included the Korean film "The Host" as well as "The Fly," "Carrie" and "Rocky Horror Picture Show."

The Tower is currently showing "JCVD," which is actually an independent film starring aging action star Jean Clause Van Damme who sort of plays himself in this film (which I have yet to see as it hasn't opened anywhere around my region).

The second feature being screened at The Tower is the Swedish horror film "Let the Right One In" which my friend Joe Scott of Greensboro, NC, has been heavily promoting in his area.

The Tower is located at 876 East 900 South in Salt Lake City next to a coffee shop where everyone in Utah beat me at chess. Their phone number is 801-321-0310.


Previous Entries in This Series:

Grandin Theatre- Roanoke, Va.

Galaxy Cinema- Cary, NC (Raleigh)

Cine-Athens, Ga.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, the "Swiss Family Treehouse" at Disneyland - and perhaps Disneyworld - has been redubbed "Tarzan's Treehouse". Sigh..another generational shift!

CARRIE is among my all-time faves...what a downer! It's ultimately a Greek tragedy set in modern American suburbia. Whe I first saw it on TV in 1978, I felt utterly depressed afterwards. Guess it wasn't intended for 11 year-olds!

THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW I saw again for the umpteenth time over the summer, after many years. Still great fun!

I enjoyed THE HOST; first Korean flick I ever watched.

I'm waiting for homevid of LET THE RIGHT ONE IN. It played in my community, but I missed it. Vampires are all the rage now, it seems. Do you watch "True Blood" on HBO? I'm planning to read Fat White Vampire Blues; don't know if you're familiar with that title.

Unknown said...

The Host is a wild film, isn't it? Korean film has really come a long way. "Oasis," which is not a horror film at all, is also really good. There have been some Korean films that are really over the top! I saw one where the plot involved cannibalism!