Monday, May 17, 2010

Viva Bursa Spor! - The New Kings of Turkish Soccer




We want to congratulate the residents of Bursa, Turkey, including my good friend Ugur Celikkol, and the fans of BursaSpor, my favorite Turkish soccer team (ok, so I root for IStanbul powerhouse GalataSaray too).

I saw the BursaSpor Crocodiles play two games at Ataturk Stadium in Bursa several years ago. One of the guards at the gate asked me why an American (my late father came from Turkey) would want to see a BursaSpor game? He was genuinely confused, but I suppose there is a college student from Istanbul at UNC-Greensboro who wonders what this NASCAR thing is all about here in North Carolina (I wonder the same thing myself, actually!).

BursaSpor won the Turkish Premiere League by defeating another Istanbul powerhouse Beshiktash 2-1 over the weekend.

The championship, one of only two in the franchise's history (I believe the team was formed circa 1963), will mean that BursaSpor will able to compete in next season's UEFA Cup.

The team's roster consists of captain Omer Erdogan (a Turkish national) along with his countrymen Yavuz Ozkan, Serdar Azin, Volkan Sen and Ozan Ipek. The international players include Tomas Zaposay (Czech) and Leonardo Iglesias (Argentina) as well as star goalie Dimitar Ivankov (Bulgaria).

As the old Queen song goes: "No time for losers 'cause we are the champions......of the world!"

No comments: