Thursday, May 20, 2010

PSA- Please Ride the Bus!




We should admit upfront that (since I haven't ridden a public bus domestically in ages) that this is a 'a bit hypocritical,' but nevertheless we should all 'ride the bus' more often. The last time I rode a bus, for any substantial duration, was between the main cities of Istanbul and Ankara in Turkey in 2008.

I got this idea when I saw a Valley Metro bus pass me as I was walking down Jefferson Street in downtown Roanoke, Va., yesterday. The public bus service is available throughout the Roanoke metro area, including the suburbs of Salem and Vinton.

(We should point out that this picture is actually of a bus in Seattle, which is very far from Roanoke!).

According to the Valley Metro web site, passengers may bring a baby stroller on the bus as well as service pets, though one can bring a pet on-board if it is in a carrier. For more info, one should contact 540-982-2222.

If you are in the Seattle-area, you can contact the public bus services for King County (Washington) at 206-553-3000.

No comments: