Thursday, May 6, 2010

Radical Church Sign We Saw (in Honor of National Prayer Day)




Since many official government agencies at the local, federal and state levels are recognizing National Prayer Day in spite of the fact that Federal Judge Barbara B. Crabb ruled it unconstitutional, we thought we would revisit this crazy church sign I saw as I was cruising down Wendover Ave. in Greensboro, NC, last weekend.

(We could have never made this up)!:

"JESUS TOOK a WHOOPIN FOR YOU."

Yes, they did leave out the 'g.' We imagine many people at this church are affiliated with the Greensboro Tea Party.

Mayor William Bunter of Topeka, Kan., told the AP that his jurisdiction would recognize today as National Prayer Day because prayer was a rite of passage in the Jayhawk State. Many cities around the country seem to following suit.

But, there is hope. As I was researching this piece, I was deligthed to find out that there is a 'congregation' of atheists in Charlotte, NC, (web site: charlotteatheists.com) which is the home of the Rev. Billy Graham.

As someone who was once a Muslim as a child (my late father was from Turkey), I know that people would actually hate me more if I had maintained my faith. So, I urge all of us who 'have a different view' to express ourselves as openly as we can. After all, even if one lives in a place like Provo, Utah, or Fort Mill, SC, they are still residing in a free country.

No comments: