Monday, May 31, 2010

Happy Memorial Day!




We take this moment to salute all soldiers serving our armed forces in Iraq, Afghanistan and Norway (well, we are getting ahead of our selves!).

I also want to take a moment to remember my late stepfather Donald Sullivan and my late grandfather Dudley C. "Doc" Sturgis, both of whom were World War Two veteran.

We thought we would go with an image of Godzilla, the Japanese monster who first surfaced on the big screen in 1954 under the direction of Ishiro Honda (1911-1993) to show irony (for those who flunked history in high school, we defeated the Japanese in World War Two) and to remind right-wing nuts that they are our friends now!

Honda did not direct my personal favorite Godzilla film (I would certainly agree it's not the best) "Godzilla Versus the Smog Monster" (1971). These films used to come on tv occasionally in the late afternoon on Channel 13 out of Lynchburg, Va., when I was a kid. And, my sister quickly got irritated with me for watching them. So much so, that she may have told my father (who died in 1983) that I was watching them instead of doing my homework. But, then again, this could all be revisionist history!

No comments: