Tuesday, January 12, 2016
SOTU Blogathon (3 of 3): Bridging the Political Divide
1) The White House: Obama:"I can promise that a year from now, when I no longer hold this office, I'll be right there with you as a citizen."
2) Nancy Pelosi: "Make me feel hopeful for continued progress. Thanks for Obama for all you've done for hard-working American families."
3) Virginia Democrats: Obama:"We have to end the practice of drawing our congressional districts so that politicians can pick their votes...."
4) Cong. Virginia Foxx (R-NC): "It's clear he doesn't understand the solutions that will get our nation back on track begin w/ American people, not Washington bureaucrats."
5) Cong. Bobby Scott (D-Va): Tonight the POTUS focused on the future and challenged Congress and the next president to go even further."
6) David Corn (Mother Jones): Obama aimed to inspire American confidence. But, he did not call out those who prevent the political system from working."
7) Glenn Kenny (film critic): Disappointed with lack of Bowie mentions/citations (Iconic pop singer David Bowie died on Sunday, we hope to post a tribute to him).
8) Hadas Gold (Politico): Top social moment according to Facebook: President Obama criticizes anti-Muslim sentiments."
9) Zeke Miller (Time): Gov. Nikki Haley (R-SC) during GOP response: "In this age of terrorism, we must not let in refugees whose intentions cannot be determined."
10) Gene Weingarten (Washington Post humorist): Nikki Haley is a vampire.
11) Ben Casselman (538 politics): Nikki Haley seems to be taking on Trump as much as Obama.