Saturday, February 21, 2015
Our Top Ten Favorite Best Picture Winners: Of Course, The Godfather is Numero Uno
Here is yet another entry to our blog. Today, we look at our ten favorite Best Picture winners as we prepare for Oscar Night in which J.K. Simmons will very likely win a Best Supporting Actor nod for his role as a militant, megalomaniac band teacher in "Whiplash."
But, there should be some surprises and some close races. It is reportedly a toss up in the Best Supporting Actress race between Emma Stone ("Birdman"....) and Patricia Arquette (Boyhood).
The American broadcast of the Oscars will occur on ABC affiliates across the country, including WCVB-5 Boston and KMGH-7 Denver as well as around the world and even on planet Neptune:)
Here is our top ten:
1. The Godfather. 1972. Francis Ford Coppola
2. Annie Hall. 1977. Woody Allen.
3. Schindler's List. 1993. Steven Spielberg
4. All Quiet on the Western Front. 1930. Lewis Milestone.
5. The Godfather, Part II. 1974. Francis Ford Coppola
6. On the Waterfront. 1954. Elia Kazan.
7. Midnight Cowboy. 1969. John Schlesinger.
8. Lawrence of Arabia. 1962. David Lean.
9. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. 1975. Milos Forman.
10. The French Connection. 1971. William Friedkin.
Honorable Mention: "The Last Emperor," "West Side Story," The Departed," "The Apartment," "12 Years a Slave," Unforgiven," "Ordinary People"......