Saturday, June 28, 2014
The World Cup Lists (1 of 4): The Captains
Well, actually, this list may not help_may not help at all in fact.
We begin our long overdue World Cup coverage with a list of 11 players who are captains of their team. Of course, just because one is a captain does not he is the best player. The disgraced soccer version of Bela Lugosi, Uruguay's Luis Suarez, one of the best players in the world, was not the captain for Team Uruguay which will try to defeat Colombia today without him.
Here is our list, good luck to everyone in Brazil:
1) Thiago Silva. Brazil. Age 29. Paris Saint-Germaine (France; pictured top).
2) Giorgis Karagounis. Greece. Age 37. Fulham (England; pictured center)
3) Clint Dempsey. USA. Age 31. Seattle Sounders (MLS/USA; pictured bottom)
4) Robin van Persie. Netherlands. Age 30. Manchester United (England)
5) Hugo Lloris. France. 27. Tottenham Hotspur (England, he plays goal-keeper)
6) Lionel Messi. Argentina. 27. Barcelona (Spain)
7) Vincent Kompany. Belgium. 28. Manchester City (England)
8) Gokhan Inler. Switzerland. 29. Napoli (Italy; he is the son of immigrants from Turkey)
9) Claudio Bravo. Chile. 31. Barcelona (Spain, the player is a goal-keeper)
10) Philipp Lahm. Germany. 30. Bayern Munich (Germany)
11) Mario Yepes. Colombia. 38. Atalanta (Italy)