Sunday, October 30, 2011

Special Quote of the Week- Madeline Kahn



Since October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and the month is winding down, I wanted to quote two women who succumbed to cancer. For years, I had assumed that both the late Madeline Kahn (1942-1999, pictured here) and the late Gilda Radner
(1946-1989) died from breast cancer, but I have seen info on the web which suggests the two women both died of ovarian cancer.

But, irregradless, I thought it would be appropriate to quote the great comic actresses. In addition to being close in age, Kahn and Radner were both close to actor Gene Wilder.

Kahn appeared in several Mel Brooks films with him, including "Blazing Saddles" and "Young Frankenstein" and Radner ultimately became Wilder's spouse.

Here is the quote from Kahn, who died at age 57 when she was a cast member of "The Cosby Show:"

"It's acceptable for men to act the fool. When women try, they're considered agressive or opinionated."

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Yes, these two comedic actresses both died of ovarian cancer....I'm of the same generation and was quite aware of their struggles at the time they were trying to somehow find a way to beat it. I suppose this is my way of telling you that the internet was right...and this is what actually happened. And personally I'm a little tired of the world acting that women only die of breast cancer. Ovarian cancer has few, if any, symptoms until it is too late to do anything about it. So, thank you for calling attention to this.
I think it is time to move on, and just worry about ways that we can live healthier lives across the boards to make it less likely that we are victims to cancer and that we move past "pink ribbons" and remember that there are many cancers that take away somebody's loved one. And I can say this...because I'm a woman and a cancer survivor and it wasn't breast cancer. Where's my ribbon? Where is everybody else's ribbons? Something to think about.