Friday, September 23, 2011
The Last Ten Films I've Seen
Before I discuss the last ten films I've seen (I actually drew the line at 10 p.m. on Monday and I've seen two other films since), I want to briefly make a few comments.
First of all, five of the films were made by acclaimed directors, including "Mother Kuster Goes to Heaven," "Sleeper" (pictured) and "Husbands.
And, I did see all five and a half hours of "Carlos" (image is of Carlos the Jackal) in virtually one sitting. It's an amzing film/mini-series about one of th emost reclusive terrorists the world has ever known.
George Butler who co-directed "Pumping Iron" (pictured) happens to share my alma mater, Hollins University in Roanoke, Va. (Yes, at the undergrad level it is a female school, but not at the grad school level).
Here is the list:
1. "The Omen" (1976. Dir-Richard Donner. w/Gregory Peck)
2. "Pumping Iron" (1977. documentary. Dirs-George Butler and Robert Fiore.
3. "One Day" (2011. Dir-Lone Scherfig. w/Anne Hathaway)
4. "The Savages" (2007. Dir-Tamara Jenkins. w/Laura Linney and Philip Seymour Hoffman)
5. "Husbands" (1970. Dir- John Casavetes. w/Casavetes, Peter Falk and Ben Gazzara)
6. "Sleeper" (1973. Dir- Woody Allen. w/Allen and Diane Keaton)
7. "Mother Kuster Goes to Heaven. (Germany. 1975. Dir- Rainer Werner Fassbinder)
8. "Electra, My Love" (Hungary. 1974. Dir-Miklos Jancso)
9. "The Upsetter" (documentary. 2008. Dirs-Ethan Higbee and Adar Bhula Lagh)
10. "Carlos" (France. 2010. Dir-Olivier Assayas)