Saturday, September 5, 2015
Saturday Afternoon Tweets: Big Ben to Bao Bao the Panda
This week, there has also been considerable discourse over the drowning death of Aylan Kurdi, a 3-year-old Syrian Kurdish refugee, after he fell from a raft and drowned en route from Bodrum, Turkey, and the Greek island of Kos, some three miles apart (both are resort areas). Today, we learned of another tragic infant death off the coast of the Greek island of Samos, near Kusadasi, Turkey. Refugees have also been stuck in Budapest, Hungary, and today the prime minister of Finland offered his residency to refugees in his country.
Today, the National Festival of the Book is also underway in Washington, DC.
Here are ten tweets from this afternoon, between 1:00-2:00 eastern United States time (6:00pm in London, 7:00pm in Amsterdam, and 8:00pm in Istanbul):
1) Big Ben: BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG
2) The Hill: Hillary Clinton raised up to $500k in Puerto Rico.
3) Des Moines Register (Des Moines, Iowa, newspaper): Several roads have already been closed ahead of Des Moines Triathlon.
4) VICE: Some rich a--hole in the UK used children's gravestones to decorate his mansion.
5) GlobalPost: Greek Coastguard say newborn infant found dead (near Samos island)
6) Jon Winkaur: I don't have to live in the real world_ I'm a fiction writer, Aaron Sorkin (Tv's "West Wing," "A Few Good Men" screenplay)
7) Talking Points Memo: Scared of ISIS attacks? For $525, Vickers Tactical will teach you to kill terrorists.
8) The Guardian (English newspaper): "To end the refugee crisis, we need more than grief. We need to see we're broken," Sabrina Hersi Issa.
9) Frederike Geerdink: Note to self, always, always, take a toothbrush.
10) Bao Bao (National Zoo panda, pict. bottom): Whoa. I just realized that two of my favorite things are very different but have similar sounding names: trees and treats.