Monday, September 15, 2014
Last Ten Films I've Seen: Mostly Netflix Week
Why do we have images of a map of Italy, the Athens, Ga., indie rock icons REM, and photo of a grizzly bear chasing a salmon in Alaska? They all relate to the last ten films I've seen; it should be pointed out that one of the films "The One I Love" shares its name with a song by REM, hence the reason why we have an image of the band fronted by Michael Stipe that was one of the best during the 1980s.
All of these films, except "The Trip to Italy" and "The One I Love," which were both showing at the local art house cinema, where viewed either through Netflix or Netflix streaming; two of the films, "A Trip to Italy" and "What Maisie Knew" feature English actor Steve Coogan:
1) "Point Blank." France. 2010. Dir: Fred Cavaye (no connection to Lee Marvin film with the same name)
2) The Trip to Italy. 2014. Dir: Michael Winterbottom.
3) "The One I Love" 2014. Dir: Charlie McDowell w/Elisabeth Moss from "Mad Men."
4) Grizzly. 1976. Dir: William Girdler (yes, it is a guilty pleasure film)
5) "Passion" 2012. Dir: Brian De Palma (remake of the French film "Love Crime")
6) Trance. 2013. Dir: Danny Boyle (Films features a very nude Rosario Dawson!)
7) What Maisie Knew. 2012. Dir: Scott McGhee, et al.
8) The King of Thieves. Slovakia (in German). 2004. Dir: Ivan Fila
9) "Paradise: Faith" Austria. 2012. Dir: Ulrich Seidl (first film in a triology)
10) Buddy. Norway. 2003. Dir: Mortem Tyldum