Sunday, September 15, 2013
Soccer Week (4 of 8): Players with Very Very Long Lastnames
We only needed to look a few European (UEFA) leagues to come up with this list. Among those who were eliminated from contention because of long surnames that were simply not long enough was Turkish soccer Gokhan Deirmeci of Kayserispor, a team that plays its games in Kayseri, Turkey.
Here are some last names you probably will not envy, but then again not all of us can be as luck as Dr. Mehmet Oz (Dr. Oz......yes, that is his real last name, and most Turkish names, including our very own Tilly Gokbudak's are longer than that):
1. Jakub Blaszcykowski (Polish player with Bayern Leverkusen in Germany)
2. Kyriakos Papadopoulos (Greek player with Schalke 'O4 in Germany)
3. Konstantinos Triantafylloppoulos (Greek player with Panathinaikos in Greece; he is the mystery player who is pictured.......you see why I'm only spelling his name once!) *
4. Stefanos Kragiopoulos (Greek player with Iraklis in Greece)
5. Adrian Mierzejewski (Polish player with Trabzonspor in Turkey)
6. Oguz Daglaroglu (Turkish player with Akhisar Belediyespor in Turkey)
7. Tigran Gharabaghtsyan (Armenian player with Ararat Yerevan in Armenia)
8. Rey Mammadbayli (Azeri player with AZAL PFK in Azerbaijan)
9. Shimon Abudhatzira (Israeli player with Maccabi Haifa in Israel)
10. Sergei Parshivlyuk (Rusian player with Spartak Moscow, we almost didn't get his name right!)
11. Aleksandr Ryazanatsev (Russian player with Rubin Kazan in Russia)
*- Hopefully, we spelled the Greek player pictured correctly!