Thursday, October 8, 2015
Chaos in DC: Tweets from the Republican Congress Mess
Yes, it has been a full two weeks since I last posted. In the mean time, actor James Woods has reverted back to being a progressive and Susan Sarandon has become a tea partier......well, of course, neither of those things has happened, but we are still here, and we still maintain a center-left point of view.
The images pictured here are of: 1) Cong. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), who is one of 46 Republicans trying to become House Speaker since Cong. Kevin McCarthy stunned the nation by dropping out of the race (in actuality, there are 10 candidates who might be speaker), 2) Bao Bao the National Zoo panda who doesn't get to vote for House Speaker, and 3) Turkish ambassador Serdar Kilic posing with President Barack Obama, the man who has replaced Thomas Jefferson on the two dollar bill. (I think we lost some conservatives in the audience with that quip).........we refer to Kilic because Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan was mentioned in a tweet (see below).......
Here are 11 tweets, one for each member of the D.C. United soccer team regarding the predicament over which Republican will prevail as House Speaker in the wake of Cong. John Boehner's (R-Ohio) stunning resignation.
1) Donna Brazile: #TheSpeakerofTheHouse is second in line after the Vice President to accede to the Presidency. This is serious.
2) The Hill: Amid chaos, Dems catch GOP off guard with Planned Parenthood vote.
3) Roll Call: One member* stomped into an elevator away from reporters with an emphatic "no!" when asked if running for speaker (*-Cong. Trey Gowdy R-SC).
4) Slate: Ted Cruz ambushed the Sierra Club's president** on climate change (**-Aaron Nair).
5) Gawker: Dr. Ben Carson just won't quit it with the Hitler talk.
6) Cong. Jared Polis (D-Colo.): "#chaosintheHouse who will be speaker?"
7) Politico: Leading Republicans to GOP conference: keep calm
8) Jonathan Chait: Biden seen ordering ice cream cone.
9) Ken Rudin: Newt Gingrich says he wouldn't rule being temp House Speaker.
10) New York Post: Belarusian writer Svetlana Alexievich won this year's Nobel Prize in literature.
11) The Economist: Turkey's Erdogan once visited Brussels begging for favours. The tables have turned.
Now, that we're done, we should head to the Turkish restaurant Meze http://www.mezedc.com though it is late and we don't actually live close to the nation's capital.