Sunday, December 26, 2010

Quote of the Week- Roy Lichtenstein




There is a poster of one of the late Roy Lichtenstein's last paintings "Tintin Reading" from 1994 featuring Herge's legendary Belgian comic book adventurer and his dog Fluffy.

Lichtenstein (1923-1997) was among the pop artists of the 1960s which included the late Andy Warhol and Jasper Johns, who is still alive at 80. The American artist, who also completed complex sculptures, used comic strip panels for much of his visual art. Most of theses panels looked like ones from comic strips like "Flash Gordon," "Dick Tracy" and "Mary Worth" (which started in 1939, and is still in many newspapers today) that focused on dramatic elements and storylines rather than 'Charlie Brown, Lucy and the football" gags.

Among Lichtenstein's famous paintings (ranging from 1958-1996) are "Look Mickey," "Drowning Girl," "Whaam!," "Grrr" and "I Know....Brad."

This quote from the great artist, who is perhaps my personal favorite, ever since I saw an exhibit of his work in Montreal in 1994, is certainly one we would not expect from comic actors like Woody Allen or the late Andy Kaufman:

"I don't have anxieties. I wish I did. I'd be much more interesting."

NOTE: We may be on a slight hiatus since we are going on a family vacation, but stay tuned for my Worst Person of the Year entry as well as a look at my top ten favorite films of 2010 before we get too much into 2011.

No comments: